Mt. Vernon Reformed UCC

P.O. Box 94

64 S. Main St.

Keedysville, Maryland 21756

GOD IS STILL SPEAKING...

Pastorís Phone: 301-223-8386

Email: delancyc@erols.com

†††††††† In 1835, a stone building was erected on land owned by J.J. Keedy which was used both as a church and a school. Here a Union Sunday School was organized and church services were held. The Reformed congregation was organized and worshiped there until 1852. In 1852, a new Reformed Church was built on land donated by Samuel Cost. The date on the cornerstone was August 28, 1852; the name, ďMt. Vernon German Reformed Church.Ē It was dedicated in the fall by Rev. Robert Douglas. In September, 1862, during the Battle of Antietam and for weeks afterwards the church was used by Federal troops as a hospital. A large hole was dug outside one of the rear windows. Into it were thrown the amputated arms and legs. The foundation of the church was weakened as a result and the walls cracked. Iron rods were used to brace the walls so the church could be used. In 1892, just 30 years after the first church was built the congregation decided to erect the present building. It was erected in front of the old building. The cost of the building and furnishings was $7,000.

†††††††† Today the Mt. Vernon Reformed Church is a member of the United Church of Christ. Itís mission is to witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the means of grace in the Keedysville area in both word and sacrament. It witnesses to the world as a member of the United Church of Christ.

United Church of Christ

Mount Vernon Reformed

Sunday Worship 10:40 a.m.

Rev. Delancy L. Catlett, Pastor (301) 223-8386

 

 

64 South Main St. Keedysville, Maryland

One of several stained glass windows